- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Butter
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Water
- 2 Egg Yolks, beaten
- 1 ½ Cups Ground Almonds
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Lemon Rind, grated
- ¼ Cup Butter, softened
- 3 Eggs, slightly beaten
- Combine almonds and sugar in medium-size bowl; stir in lemon rind.
- Work in butter with fingers until well blended.
- Add eggs; blend thoroughly with wire whisk.
- Consistency of filling will be runny when mixed, but will be firm when baked.
- Sift flour onto clean working surface; make well in center.
- Cut butter into small pieces; place in well.
- Add sugar, water, and egg yolks.
- Blend with 2 pastry scrapers, gathering flour from ring, until a fine-crumb consistency form.
- Shape pastry into smooth ball; work in additional flour, if necessary.
- Divide pastry into 2 parts.
- Roll out 1 part on lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thick; cut into circle by using the bottom of a cake pan for the pattern. Fit circle into pan;
- Spoon Almond Filling over pastry.
- Roll out remaining pastry to 1/4-inch thick
- Cut circle slightly larger than bottom circle.
- Place top pastry over filling.
- Bake in preheated 375 °F oven 45 to 50 minutes, until top crust is lightly browned.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.
- Garnish with sliced toasted almonds, then with confectioners’ sugar.