- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup chopped cooked ham
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups grated Swiss cheese (6-ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Salt to taste
- Wash broccoli; remove leaves and coarse stem ends.
- Pour chicken broth into large pot and bring to boil.
- Add broccoli and reduce to medium heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until broccoli is just tender.
- Remove broccoli with slotted spoon and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Add milk, ham, and pepper to stock; bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cheese, butter, and broccoli.
- Heat until cheese is melted.
- Add salt to taste. Do not boil. Serve hot.